Some time ago a foreign friend asked me about real Brazilian Music !!
Considering the current state of Brazilian Music ( i.e. pure garbage ), and my orientation towards electronic music, was quite hard to go deep and find the really good things, as i knew about at least Mutantes and Secos e Molhados, and a few good 80’s rock and punk bands, i came out with an incomplete but very interesting list that can serve to start to dig the real original Brazilian Music.
And i mean the original sertanejo, the samba that came from the Rio’s pubs, know as botecos and the rock and roll that born on the 70’s and 80’s and the Tropicalia times when Caetano and Gilberto Gil aren’t the today’s annoying ones..
Let’s go to the ( incomplete ) list and hope this become useful for you…
- Most from before 1970, i really recommend listen at least once
- Any album, then later his singer, Ney Mato Grosso ( more later ). I specially like them.
- Tim Maia
- Any record before 1978, recommended “Racional 1” and “Racional 2”, is our James Brown
- Brazilian Sertanejo ( country ) from oldies ( the good stuff )
- Samba Roots and Chorinho ( or the original samba that dates from way long ago style )
- Titãs – Started as a 80’s pop rock, go for almost punk and become an amazing rock band
- Legião Urbana – One of the most idolized bands of many, most because his singer that died young from and his strong lyrics
- Paralamas do Sucesso – They mix everything in their funky rock style, loved everywhere ( the old records )
- Skank< – They started as a Ska band and became an amazing rock band/li>
I skipped North and Bahia music, but there’s a lot more 🙂